Upload To Commons is an app for Android users to conveniently upload pictures taken from their devices.
The app was created by Wikimedia, then abandoned for a while, and is now trying to resurface as a community-maintained effort.
The goal of the project is to let users easily add relevant categories to their pictures. The benefits are double:
- App is easier/faster to use, less typing
- Pictures are better categorized, which makes them findable and thus more re-usable
- Guessing the appropriate categories for uncategorized pictures taken by other people is hard, time-wasting, and sometimes impossible. Time spent on this task will be saved.
This goal will be achieved by:
- Showing nearby categories
- Making category search "fuzzier"
Primary Mentor: @Niedzielski (Android expert developer, wikimedia-mobile member), Mountain Time Zone, UTC-06:00 through October 31, UTC-07:00 on November 1
Co-mentor: @Nicolas_Raoul (twice GSoC mentor, developer of AnkiDroid, active on Commons, current maintainer of Upload to Commons, GMT+9)
Estimated time for a senior contributor: 3 weeks
- Android development
- Git usage
- Wikimedia Commons usage, at least as a media contributor
- Daily reporting
Microtask: https://github.com/nicolas-raoul/apps-android-commons/issues/11 (completed)
Phases of the project:
- Nearby categories:
- Identify the best strategy/APIs to find nearby categories
- Extract GPS coordinates from the picture
- Implement asynchronous calls to the APIs
- Show resulting categories
- "Fuzzy" category search
- Identify common patterns of category search near-misses
- Search for an API that would allow "fuzzy" search, and use it if available
- If not available, implement it by simple tricks like capitalization/pluralization