|Resolved||CKoerner_WMF||T144512 Support Discovery Q2 Goal: Increase maps and graphs usage on Wikipedia|
|Resolved||debt||T149227 Create an easy to understand user guide for interactive maps|
|Declined||CKoerner_WMF||T144655 Publicize Interactive Maps in a blog post|
I'd like some more eyes on this for review. I've organized the information a little and added videos showing how the features work. @EdErhart-WMF what do you think about this? Blog worthy?
@Yurik can you review for accuracy please?
Yuri and I met with Ed and Sam to discuss this draft. We're going to structure something similar to the mobile web improvements blog post: https://blog.wikimedia.org/2016/09/19/mobile-web-improvements/
Notes from the meeting:
- Make sure we include a mention that the data is from OpenStreetMaps and the collaboration there.
- Start the article from a reader's standpoint. What will they get? You can see maps on articles!
- See if we can give a rough timeline to share for them being on wikipedia
- You might start seeing links like (examples of use on wikipedias)
- hu and ca use in article on wikipedia
- Then talk about some of the tech details
We'll do a separate post on Graphs at a later date.
After talking to the team it was decided to draft an article announcing the full map features to Wikipedia. This will follow the same structure we discussed with Comms, but include everything the team has been working toward.
- Maps + Graphs
- Static map service
- And maybe even a mention of maps usage in WDQS
As of this comment this is probably a few weeks out as the team works on the technical implementations. I'l update the draft to reflect our desired state so we have it ready to go!