No projects in production use it so we should explore phasing this out of the codebase to give us less code to maintain.
Pre sprint checklist
- Check in with the wikivoyage community if they are happy with the existing state of showing related articles in the footer.
- Notify mediawiki-l that we will no longer support showing related pages in the sidebar: https://lists.wikimedia.org/pipermail/mediawiki-l/2017-July/046748.html
- T164765 is resolved meaning Wikivoyage can show more than 3 related articles
- Related articles always show in the footer
- wgRelatedArticlesShowInFooter is removed from the extension as a configuration option
- Bump version number this is a breaking change
- Remove mediawiki-config variables (cleanup after yourself) - Will be done post deploy
- Update the documentation on https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:RelatedArticles
- After the sidebar-related code is removed, there'll be no reason to distinguish the footer-related code, i.e. RelatedArticles will only be shown in the footer. We should reflect this in the codebase by renaming FooterHooks to Hooks (and other related changes).