Special:Import error: "Import failed: Could not open import file"
Open, LowPublic

Description

Author: fran

Description:
Trying to transwiki the page [[Help:ParserFunctions]] and its history on Meta to MediaWiki.org using Special:Import, I ran into an error - it fails with the cryptic message "Import failed: Could not open import file". I have transwiki'd other pages with full histories from Meta to MW.org with no problems, but this page refuses to do so.

Notably, the transfer works if I choose to only copy over the current revision; this is of little use, though, since the GFDL requires that they all be transferred over. This is a rather large stumbling block in the process of moving all MediaWiki documentation from Meta to MediaWiki.org - is there any way to work around or fix this error?


Version: unspecified
Severity: normal

Details

Reference
bz15000
bzimport set Reference to bz15000.
bzimport added a subscriber: Unknown Object (MLST).
bzimport created this task.Aug 1 2008, 7:39 AM

Mass compoment change: <some> -> Export/Import

lambdav wrote:

We have the same problem on the French Wikibooks to import from the Wikipédia.
Example : import the page [[w:fr:Résolution d'un sudoku]] always fail returning the following error message :
Échec de l’import : Impossible d’ouvrir le fichier à importer

The page exists. When we try to import a page which doesn't exists the message is :
Échec de l’import : Aucune page à importer.

With some pages, it may success after many number of tries (about 10 attemps), but with some other pages, it never success.

See also [https://bugzilla.wikimedia.org/show_bug.cgi?id=13807 Bug 13807]

I tried that a while back, I think it is just too big.

mike.lifeguard+bugs wrote:

*** Bug 12231 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

mike.lifeguard+bugs wrote:

*** Bug 13807 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

mike.lifeguard+bugs wrote:

*** Bug 16981 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

geraki added a comment.Mar 6 2009, 1:30 PM

Same problem in el.wikipedia. The import fails when trying to import pages with a lot of revisions, so in fact the tool is mostly useless (nobody is interested importing stubs).

mike.lifeguard+bugs wrote:

(In reply to comment #7)

Same problem in el.wikipedia. The import fails when trying to import pages with
a lot of revisions, so in fact the tool is mostly useless (nobody is interested
importing stubs).

Worse than that, it actually fails ~90% of the time when trying to import only one revision. There is obviously something going on here which has nothing to do with the difficulty in retrieving page text quickly from external storage for all revisions of a page, since that's not required for importing the top revision. See bug 16875.

IAlex added a comment.Jan 2 2011, 1:35 PM
  • Bug 26493 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***
He7d3r added a comment.May 6 2011, 9:24 PM

Any updates on this?

I've tried to import the page again and I'm still getting the error described on Bug 26493.

Hydriz added a comment.Jun 4 2011, 2:22 PM

*** Bug 21409 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

Hydriz added a comment.Jun 4 2011, 2:24 PM

*** Bug 17281 has been marked as a duplicate of this bug. ***

john wrote:

Please do not change priority unless you are a developer, and raising the severity to blocker won't help this move.

lambdav wrote:

Why is there no action to resolve this blocking problem ??
Should we stop reporting problems as nothing has been done for this one since 2008 !?

john wrote:

This seems to be a Wikimedia problem, moving to the appropriate product.

(In reply to comment #15)

This seems to be a Wikimedia problem, moving to the appropriate product.

Are you sure? Import/export via special pages is notoriously unreliable on all wikis I've heard of.

TTO added a comment.Sep 21 2013, 9:59 AM

This is mostly caused by timeouts (e.g. try to import [[Wikipedia:Sandbox]] or [[wikt:water]] with all revisions).

The solution here would be to increase $wgHTTPTimeout on the Wikimedia cluster, or to introduce a separate timeout config variable into MediaWiki that will affect imports only.

Adding ops keyword and CC'ing Reedy - they should know whether increasing the timeout is OK, and whether it will actually help to solve this problem.

(In reply to comment #17)

The solution here would be to increase $wgHTTPTimeout on the Wikimedia
cluster,or to introduce a separate timeout config variable into MediaWiki
that will affect imports only.

MediaWiki & Cluster => CC'ing Tim.

Reguyla set Security to None.

Add Comment