In T179529: [Spike] Can we detect browsers where the window.print function simply doesn't work? we determined that the print to PDF button only works for google chrome. We would like to deploy the button to Chrome on Android with the goal of:
- providing the button to a large set of users
- collecting data on the usage that the button gets
- Prior to rolling out, make sure email is sent to wikitech
- Update mediawiki documentation (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Reading/Web/Projects/Mobile_PDFs)
- Deploy print to PDF button for Chrome on Android for all users on all wikis
- Monitor the increase in events to the https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Schema:Print schema (e.g. via https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/eventlogging-schema?orgId=1&var-schema=Print ), and adjust its sampling rate in the (very unlikely) case that the deployment causes the event rate to exceed the 10 events per second (in average) limit above which it is recommended to consult the Analytics Engineering team about possible MySQL blacklisting.
- We'll need to enable the feature flag in the production config
- While there is an browser#isIOS function, there aren't #isAndroid and/or #isChrome function. These'll have to be added.