We need to turn off the Trending Service until product needs become more clear in order to reduce the maintenance burden.
After performing user research with the current Trending Service, it was found that it didn't fit with the current trending use cases for mobile apps as well as top read. Report
Several potential improvements have been identified, but due to other priorities, it will be some time before these are explored more thoroughly.
In the interim, the Trending Service appears to be causing some additional maintenance burden (a few bug fixes needed to be performed last week)
Because of both of these reasons, it seems prudent to turn the the service off for now until we can revisit the improvements that need to be made for this to become a viable service.
If any more testing needs to be performed we can do this in Cloud VPS.
- Announce the removal
- Set the end point's stability to Deprecated
- Remove the endpoint from restbase, This needs a restbase deployment.
- Remove the endpoint from lvs - this needs a puppet patch
- Remove the data from conftool (puppet)
- Remove the role from the scb cluster (puppet)
- Cleanup the scb cluster (either via a newly-minted puppet class to remove a service, or via a manual script).