Sometimes productive users are unproductive in a certain area of a wiki. Rather than entirely block them, the software can allow for users to be blocked from editing pages within a specific category.
Example; User:Giraffe is a highly productive contributors but has an agenda against Climate Change and regularly disrupts pages with Category:Climate change. If they were prevented from editing all pages within this category their future disruption could be prevented and their constructive edits could continue.
- After T2674: Allow users to be blocked from editing a specific article or all articles inside a namespace:
- If an admin specifies a page or category to block:
- Page blocks can only be set for existing pages/categories only, with validation required in the input field.
- An autosuggest should help the user find the correct page.
- Pages can be from any namespace
- If a page or category is moved, the user should still be blocked from editing (e.g. block by page ID, not page name)
- If a category is provided, the blocked user cannot edit either the category page itself and all pages within the category.
- How do we handle categories that may be on the Talk Pages of applicable article pages?
- How many sub-categories deep should the category blocks apply?
- Speed performance drag on UX?
- How to address situations where a user may use a sock to remove a category from a page and therefore change their own block.