Currently when an error is thrown by the talk overlay it is displayed as a "toast error"
Given toasts are currently positioned below the overlay, these errors are not visible to the user so the error is not visible and the editor has no idea there has been a problem.
If I manually make the overlay opaque (for debugging purposes only) I can see that the toast is present but hidden under the overlay:
Currently the mw-notification-area is inserted inside #content
If this area is instead added as a child of the body element this seems to work just as well.
- Make sure the mw-notification-area element appears above overlays either via z-index or adjustments to the DOM
- Visit https://reading-web-staging.wmflabs.org/wiki/Sandwich
- Open talk overlay and click "I like sandwiches"
- Drop internet connection
- Type yes in reply box and hit save
- Confirm you see a toast message above the talk overlay saying the error failed to save.