Page MenuHomePhabricator

CX2: Reference template adapted as empty despite templateData
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

When translating Endloskassette from German into English. The article contains references with the Literatur template. This template is equivalent to Cite book according to Wikidata, and both templates seem to have templateData information.

Unlike templates lacking templateData (T203160), these templates are expected to be properly mapped. The original issue was reported in this comment and required the reporter to fix the references manually to avoid the list to of references to be full of errors:

Details of the problem

When a paragraph containing the /Literatur/ template is added to the English translation in Content Translation version 2, the reference card shows the reference information making the translator believe that it was properly adapted, but when the reference is inspected the parameters are shown as empty. As result, when the translation is published, the reference is published with an empty template.

The screenshots below capture the issue in these different steps:

1. Template seems properly adapted when it is added to the translation paragraph:

2. Template parameters are empty when inspected:

3. Template is empty when published:

Event Timeline

Pginer-WMF triaged this task as Normal priority.Sep 5 2018, 10:20 AM
Pginer-WMF raised the priority of this task from Normal to High.
Pginer-WMF created this task.
Pginer-WMF moved this task from Backlog to Priority backlog on the Language-2018-July-September board.

It seems that having templateData is not enough to guarantee the automatic mapping of parameters. The parameters need to have an alias that is coincident to their name in the other language. Most of the improvements to better support for these cases will be done as part of T203160. We may want to wait until that ticket is completed to reconsider the current one.

santhosh moved this task from Backlog to In Progress on the Language-2018-July-September board.

Change 462449 had a related patch set uploaded (by Santhosh; owner: Santhosh):
[mediawiki/services/cxserver@master] WIP: Use the parameter mapping from citoid map in templatedata

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462449

I found that templatedata also has the citoid map which can be used to find the parameter mapping. For example, see the citoid map inside https://de.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Vorlage:Literatur/Doku&action=edit (search for citoid)

The same template after the fix:

Once this is available it may be good to check if it also helps with the case described in T206309 to provide a better mapping.

Change 462449 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/services/cxserver@master] Template mapping: Use the citoid map in templatedata

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/462449

Stashbot added a subscriber: Stashbot.

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-10-15T05:16:28Z] <kartik@deploy1001> Started deploy [cxserver/deploy@fd74c3b]: Update cxserver to b51f363 (T203077, T99934, T203550)

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-10-15T05:20:53Z] <kartik@deploy1001> Finished deploy [cxserver/deploy@fd74c3b]: Update cxserver to b51f363 (T203077, T99934, T203550) (duration: 04m 25s)

Works as expected but @Etonkovidova can test this again.

Once this is available it may be good to check if it also helps with the case described in T206309 to provide a better mapping.

I checked this and the issue described in T206309 can still be reproduced despite the improvements on the current ticket.

Pginer-WMF closed this task as Resolved.Oct 26 2018, 10:05 AM

The parameters from the original example are now properly mapped: