Page MenuHomePhabricator

Revert FlaggedRevs changes on the Hungarian Wikipedia
Open, NormalPublic

Description

There is an ongoing discussion about T121995 and its affects on the main Hungarian village pump. Although the opinions are mixed about its positive/negative impact, that is clear it should be reverted. The test period has already ended more than a month, so please revert it as soon as it is possible. Forgetting changing it back caused many unnecessary arguments because the deal was a trial period, so it should have happened. Pinging @Dereckson and @Tgr.

Done, with a test period target from April to October 2018.

Event Timeline

Bencemac created this task.Nov 23 2018, 8:54 AM
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptNov 23 2018, 8:54 AM

@Aklapper I do not agree. We discussed that we cannot answer the test's main question (like 'do we loose anons and new [non-trusted] editors because their changes do not appear immediately?') because we did not collect data for this (or for anything else, not at all). As a speaker, I am only repeating myself.

That's something to discuss in T209224?

Tgr added a comment.Nov 24 2018, 6:05 AM

MediaWiki has a public log of all edits and registrations; I'm not sure what other data we would want to collect. It's just that someone needs to actually analyse it.

I don't think the sense of urgency some users are trying to instill on the village pump is in any way justified, but if someone really insists on doing another config change for the duration of the analysis, I guess there is no harm in it either.

@Aklapper All I can say is that the majority (who participated in the discussion) still want the reverting.

Zache added a subscriber: Zache.Nov 27 2018, 4:49 PM

One more week has passed. When can we expect any action?

@Bencemac: If I interpret T210224#4771188 correctly: When you or someone else provides a configuration change patch.

@Bencemac: If I interpret T210224#4771188 correctly: When you or someone else provides a configuration change patch.

It is why this task was created. @Dereckson, who did it?

It is why this task was created.

We know. :) And this task might get picked up by anyone who volunteers to work on this task (same for any other configuration change request).

@Dereckson, who did it?

Who did what?

@Dereckson, who did it?

Who did what?

See below.

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2018-04-09T14:28:12Z] <dereckson@tin> Synchronized wmf-config/flaggedrevs.php: Always show latest revision even if not reviewed on hu.wikipedia (T121995) (duration: 00m 59s)

Zache added a comment.Dec 9 2018, 4:35 PM

I will assign this to @Dereckson because he was the person who enabled the testing period for 6 months (per T121995 and commit).

@Dereckson, Please write in the ticket if there is some reason why the configuration can't be changed back as the huwiki community asked. The current situation is that everything just stalls, because nobody actually implementing decisions is bad.

Zache assigned this task to Dereckson.Dec 9 2018, 4:35 PM

"Although the opinions are mixed about its positive/negative impact, that is clear it should be reverted."

I've some difficulties with this concept. How can a thing could be clear if the opinions are described as mixed?

Bencemac added a comment.EditedDec 9 2018, 5:31 PM

Because we voted for a test period/temporary time, not for default (currently this is the default setting).

Tgr added a comment.Dec 9 2018, 6:43 PM

Because we voted for a test period/temporary time, not for default (currently this is the default setting).

Actually we voted to test it for a limited time period, then evaluate and make a final decision. The problem is no one seems to be interested in working on the evaluation so that process is stuck. (I intend to, eventually, but have some side projects which are more urgent right now. I don't think a few more weeks of delay makes much difference, and TBH I feel that the people who are complaining are exactly the ones who don't care much about the evaluation and have made up their minds on what they want from the start. Then again, I don't think switching the config back now (and then evaluating and making the final decision) makes much difference, either.)

Bencemac triaged this task as Normal priority.Jan 19 2019, 4:45 PM

Raised the priority because this case is pending since October 2018.

Dereckson removed Dereckson as the assignee of this task.Mar 12 2019, 9:13 PM

[ Unassigned as I'm not currently working on this task. ]

Mahveotm claimed this task.Mar 13 2019, 1:43 PM

I will work on this but expect comments from Hungarian Wikipedia community members before this is deployed.

Mahveotm triaged this task as Normal priority.Mar 13 2019, 1:51 PM

I will work on this but expect comments from Hungarian Wikipedia community members before this is deployed.

We are still waiting for it since October and the latest complaint (what I noticed) about why it is not done already was in January.

Zache added a comment.EditedMar 13 2019, 2:28 PM

My suggestion is that because it is almost April the testing period would be a full year (365 days) if it is not a problem for huwiki community and then revert the change. This would make the results of the test more useful to others. This, of course, requires support from huwiki community.

My suggestion is that because it is almost April the testing period would be a full year (365 days) if it is not a problem for huwiki community and then revert the change. This would make the results of the test more useful to others. This, of course, requires support from huwiki community.

We voted for six months, not a year. IMHO, no one would like and support this idea because the community is not satisfied with the current situation/status. Personally, I am tired of hearing that 'why are you doing nothing?' and 'we are waiting for this since X', just because I am not able to do it myself.

I'm really unsure how to proceed on this. @Tgr any thoughts?

@Zache, thanks. I wasn't talking about the coding, I was talking about your suggestion to wait till April and @Bencemac and the Hungarian Wikipedia insistence that it should be done ASAP.

Change 496205 had a related patch set uploaded (by Mahveotm; owner: Mahveotm):
[operations/mediawiki-config@master] Remove flaggedrevs on the Hugarian Wikipedia, test period completed

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/496205

Zache added a comment.EditedMay 9 2019, 11:12 AM

@Mahveotm why this is blocked? Or more precisely if it is because my comment then year is now full and it can be reverted.

Samat added a subscriber: Samat.May 12 2019, 5:30 PM

I am currently working on T209224. I would recommend to wait until the analysis is ready, the community can evaluate the results and make the decision about the future settings.