We need to upgrade our Cloud VPS infra:
- from Debian Jessie to Debian Stretch
- from Mitaka to Newton
Since there is no way to install Newton in Jessie, we need to try to install Mitaka in Stretch and then upgrade Mitaka -> Newton.
All Mitaka packages are in the jessie-backports Debian repository, and we may try
hacking doing the trick of using that repo in Stretch.
My proposal is to try something like this:
- Image a server with Debian Stretch
- Enable the jessie-backports repo
- Install Mitaka packages from that repo
- Upgrade Mitaka (jessie-backports) to Newton (stretch)
- Cleanup any remaining jessie-backports package and use only what's provided in stretch
PS: There is a small summary of the versioning matrix in T169099#4676842