After the initial limited deployment (T213076) to support translations between "Simple English" and Indonesian (example), we want to make the extension available more widely. We want to make the extension available in Wikipedia for all languages.
When supporting the translations for a given language pair (e.g., English-to-Indonesian), the extension needs to be available in both the source wiki (to add extra indicators, T212202) and the target wiki (to provide access to the different ways to contribute, T212300). Note also that the changes on the content of the source wiki are only visible when accessed on a translation service such as Google translate, not when accessed directly on the wiki (this adds some complexity in testing and verifying).
For this particular deployment, since we'll be supporting translations from English to any language, the extension needs to be available in all languages. In order to expose the changes in a more gradual way, additional control mechanisms in the software (T217401) will restrict the UI changes only to English as a source language. This restriction will be removed as a follow-up step once we evaluate the impact in the metrics (T212414).
Before deploying we need to complete the following items:
- T217401: Limit the access to only English (and Simple English) as source languages
- T216123: Tag is not added when new page is created through External Guidance
The above items will allow to limit the exposure, and measure the impact of the change. We should not deploy (exposing the tool to more users) before these are completed.
Checklist on items in the path to the deployment:
- Deployment in Labs (https://eg.wmflabs.org)
- Performance review (T214170)
- Security review (T214152)
- Initial deployment in Production (T213076)
- Complete blocking tickets (see section above).
- Update configuration to enable ExternalGuidance entry points in English and Simple English Wikipedia (related to T217401)
- Deploy to all Wikipedias