To support progress in T225213 which will improve the main menu experience for all users (including non-js users) and to remove maintenance burden (Special:MobileMenu) we should server side render the MainMenu in Minerva.
This will enable us to apply a CSS only solution meaning users will never land on the Special:MobileMenu page again.
- The menu is server side rendered
- The MainMenu inside Minerva no longer makes use of MobileFrontend's View.
- Menu templates are moved into the includes folder.
Cached HTML is an issue. We will need to do this task in 2 chunks
- Server side render the contents of the main menu (DONE)
- Wait 2 weeks (from 8th October)
- Remove the client side rendering
In an incognito window ensure you can open and close the menu on a variety of pages. Use the random button to find old pages which may not have been edited for some time. Do any pages not show the menu?
Sign off steps
- Verify graphs for performance in beta cluster don't suggest problems (https://grafana.wikimedia.org/dashboard/db/mobile-2g)