This task is about finding out what steps are required for creating a new database table.
As part of the Talk page pages project, we will be introducing new talk page notifications intended to increase the likelihood that people are aware when: A) someone is talking to them and B) a conversation is happening about a topic people have expressed an interest in.
As part of that latter "B)" category of notifications, we plan to introduce a new feature that will enable people to opt-in/out of being notified [i] when a new comment is posted in a specific section on a talk page. To enable this functionality, we think a new table will need to be created that knows the following:
- All of the sections capable of being watched
- Which users have opted into watching a given section
- Each individual users' watch status (read: are they still wanting to be notified when a new comment is posted in a given section or have they "unsubscribed"?)
- 1. What is the process for creating a table capable of storing the kind of information described in the "Details" section above?
- 2. Who are the people we need to consult with about creating a table capable of storing the kind of information described in the "Details" section above?
- All "Open questions" above are resolved
i. We are not yet sure how people will be notified. E.g. will they be notified via Echo, via a new line item in their Watchlist?