The Wikidata Team is redoing the Special:NewLexeme page. One improvement we want to make is boosting languages in the selector where editors indicate the language of the Lexeme they are creating (See T298140). The language selector currently is a normal entity selector that searches through all Items in Wikidata. We'd like to have a new search profile that boosts Items representing languages in order to make selecting languages easier.
From the current Special:NewLexeme page:
- a search profile is available that the Wikidata Team can use in the new Special:NewLexeme page that boosts languages
Ideas for how to determine which Items to boost:
- boost Items that are "instance of" one of the following: language, modern language, dead language, dialect
- boost Items that have a statement with one of the following Properties: ISO 639-1 code, ISO 639-2 code, ISO 639-3 code, ISO 639-5 code, Ethnologue.com language code, Glottolog code
- boost Items that are used in the language field of existing Lexemes (this would be Lydia's preference if it is technically doable)
- We still want Items not representing languages to be included. They should just be ranked lower.