As a Wikibase editor, while editing I can clearly see in the terms section if a missing label already falls back to a label in a particular language or to the mul language code. This will help me to decide whether a suitable fallback already exists or if I need to input a new one.
If NO mul label is available:
If mul label is available:
- When the Wikibase Entity is opened for editing on desktop, the first Wikibase language fallback label is used as a placeholder - without being truncated - for all empty Labels.
- If no fallback label is available, the mul label is used as a placeholder.
- If there is no mul label to be used as default, "Enter a label in <language>" (the current placeholder) should be displayed
- The en label is not used as the default placeholder for any empty labels, unless it is part of the Wikibase language fallback.
- The acceptance criteria above can be validated on test.wikidata.org
- As of this task, the editing interface does not need to be reactive. i.e. the placeholder will not change while entering a label. Only after submit and refresh.
We can ignore ULS-added languages for now: Wikidata adds languages from ULS (for non-logged-in users, for logged-in users with fewer than 4 UI/Babel-specified languages), it is okay to only apply MUL placeholders for these (where available).
- T340832 is implementing this for the reading UI.