As a user, I want to know if know if a new feature is ready for testing, so I can try it out before it is released.
We want to notify users when a new feature is ready for testing, so more of them get a chance to see it before it is released.
Be sure to check this wiki specification for Echo notifications of Beta Features , which will replace this Mingle card for development purposes.
To that end, we propose the following tasks:
- Use the proposal and development update below)
- Show this notification content for the ''New Feature Available' message: Check out this new feature: [ Media Viewer ]. Try it in beta and share your feedback!
- We need a new notification category label for 'New Feature'
- We also need a new category icon for that notification
- Check to see if the user has enabled the feature already as a BetaFeature
- If they haven't enabled it yet, link to that feature section in Beta Features preferences
- If they have enabled it, link to the feature overview page where they can discuss it. (e.g. 'About Media Viewer')
- This feature can be triggered manually , on a per-wiki basis (so product teams can control the timing and scope of each local notification)
- More design input is needed before we can properly estimate this task.
- This will also require changes to the Beta Features extension (e.g.: anchors for direct link to the BetaFeature), to be specified in T77352: BetaFeatures Extension Update for Notifications
- "New Feature Release": We also want to notify users when the feature has released (with a separate notification, to be specified in a different task).
- More detailed specs for this new Echo notification will be needed, as shown on this Echo Feature Requirements page.
Developer Kunal Mehta [legoktm] has started development on a first version of the "new feature available" notification, which is being reviewed on this original proposal for BetaFeatures notifications.
However, more work is needed to test and debug this first version, as well as to create the second notification "New feature has launched", and the Beta Features extension update.
See also: (Alternative idea) T77366: Popup Guider for Beta Features