Figuring out whether and where MediaWiki API providess what you want is difficult. T75952 mentions discovering the message list and the interwiki list, but this assumes the developer even knows these terms, and the strings "interwiki" and "message" appear all over the help.
Generated API help
- T89659: Give action=query higher billing on api main help page
- T75952: Add more prominent "single page" link to api.php
- Generated API help could use a TOC and/or collapsible sections, especially with the sprawling single-page recursivesubmodules=1 mode.
- either change the action and submodule headings (e.g. "prop=pageimages (pi)" to be more informative with a blurb, or when collapsed continue to show the description underneath.
- Implement an action=help mode that shows a recursive list of actions and submodules with only their titles (h2 heading contents like "prop=pageimages (pi)") and descriptions (api-xxx-description messages).
- The apihelp-linktrail line that displays e.g. "(main | query | imageusage)" could have a link to this.
- The possible action, prop, list, and meta values currently display as a long comma-separated list the same as any other parameter value. Instead they could show a blurb/description of what they do, appear as a bulleted list, etc.
- Implement a specialized search of the generated API help that favors words in the action/submodule description.
Here all you have is dropdown lists for action and query submodule. It needs ways to explore and search the descriptions of API actions and submodules.
- @Spage added a new section to the API Faq (How do I) figure out what action or submodule to call?.