Scap3 has come quite a long way over the past quarter: https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/tag/scap3/
The first deploy via Scap3 happened on beta cluster last Wednesday (outcomes outlined here: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Deployment_tooling/Cabal/RESTBase_Beta_deploy). The cabal et al are moving forward with more deployments and by the time the dev summit rolls around there should be a lot to discuss. We'd love to spread the good word about the work that RelEng has been doing over several quarters with interested deployers and opsen that have concerns or want to help push the project forward.
The outline below tries to expand on some of the points for discussion in the task description. Basically, the session at the Dev Summit has a few audiences:
- Opsen who can help move MediaWiki and other projects to a more automated deployment.
- Repo deployers whose repositories haven't yet (by that point) moved to Scap3.
Dev summit discussion:
- Explain how to move a repository from using Trebuchet to Scap3
- Find some other "next-step" repos—there should be a first handful of repos on Scap by the time of the dev summit
- How Scap3 would help prevent MediaWiki outages (see: T116593#1755029)
- What has to happen to get Scap3 deploying MediaWiki?
Hopeful Dev-summit Outcomes
- Clear path forward to deploying MediaWiki with Scap3
- Clear path forward to reducing the number of deployment tools—how does Trebuchet go away?
- Better understanding for interested deployers of how to port a repo from Trebuchet to Scap3 for those project maintainers that would be interested