At present there is no easy way to let other know and verify the contribution and participation in Wikimedia projects. The problem increases if someone is active in multiple projects. Endorsement and recolonization the skills or accomplishments of individual Wikipedians should be more standard.
Digital badges (Open Badges) will be provided upon the completion/participation in different ares of the Wikimedia movement. It will be similar as the 'Barnstars' but it will be more automated and will be build upon standard tools. A standalone tool will check and maintain the progress to get a new badge. It will also list all the badges of a wikipedian and s/he will be able to share them.
Goals & Scopes
The main goal of this tool will be to increase participation of new and existing wikipedians. I am ad administrator and founding member of Wikimedia Bangladesh Chapter. We initiated several programs to increase participation, attract and engage new contributors. From these programs and campaigns i have some observations i find increases the contribution, the list if flowing
- A leader board/ competition (Example campaign: List of active wikipedians)
- Short/ easy to achieve milestones (Example campaign: 5 new articles a week)
- Recognition (Example campaign: Barnstars)
- Stat (Example campaign: Article edit count)
- (will add more... )
From these observations i thought it is good to have some standard tools which will encourage the Wikipedians. Then i posted the idea in the Bengali Wikipedia Village pump and got a big support (https://bn.wikipedia.org/wiki/WP:VP#Wikibadge). So i am planning to build a tool for the Bengali Wikipedia. If it is successful and other community is willing to use this tool then we will extend out plan, goals and scopes.
The Wiki Badge will be used as a single tool but it may use several other tools to perform successfully. Broadly the other tools could be following
- A tool which determines when a certain user qualifies for a certain badge.
- A tool which awards the badge itself
copied form the comment of @Lokal_Profil
The overall development plan is to use/utilize the existing tools as much as possible. The final Wiki Badge tool could only call the other API and show the results. This final tool will be a standalone one. In the next phase this could be converted to a Mediawiki Extension or integrated in the Mediawiki core.
- get the statistics
- award the badges
- Use Open Badge extension (https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Extension:OpenBadges). installing and using this experimental badges in the production could be an issue
Expected outcome at summit
I have the following expectation form the summit.
- establish the scope and direction
- finalize the list of existing tools which can be used with the Wiki Badge tool
- get assistance from the analytics team
- finalize the list of areas which will be used to award badges
- discuss and finalize the development plan
- get assistance from the experienced developers and develop a prototype at the end of the summit