When admins hide edit's summaries from desktop version it still apparent from mobile version and this thing is very annoying because such edit's summaries contain inappropriate words and sometimes cursing. I wish this problem to be solved as early as possible. Regards.
The hidden edit summary is not visible to unprivileged users; it's visible to users who have permissions to view it, but there's no indication in the UI that it is hidden. In desktop pages, you need to click through to see hidden edit summaries even if you have permission to view them.
@1339861mzb has helpfully provided some images showing the issue.
Desktop - for a hidden revision a message is shown and it is not possible to see the diff OR the summary by default. A link is provided to view the diff and controls are shown to reveal the summary.
Mobile - for a hidden revision the diff is always shown and the edit summary is shown (potentially containing curse words and should be considered a form of harassment for editors)
Desktop - in history page the summary is treated differently visually (via a strikethrough) to signal a deleted revision.
Mobile - in history page the summary looks no different from other pages for admins so doesn't indicate it is hidden (nor does it provide mechanisms to hide):
(for non-admins it is however surpressed:
the diff is hidden but the edit summary still shows o_O:
- We already have code in InlineDifferenceEngine to check isSuppressedDiff and isUserAllowedToSee but when user is allowed to see.
$allowed = $this->isUserAllowedToSee(); but SpecialMobileDiff does not utilise these in getIntroHTML - it renders summary regardless.
- MobileSpecialPageFeed::renderFeedItemHtml renders the rows in the history, contributions etc... It expects summary to be hidden before rendering.
- SpecialMobileContributions::showContributionsRow, SpecialHistory::showRow, SpecialHistory::showFeedResultRow all duplicate code for working out what the summary should be. If a user can see a deleted comment we render it, however instead of doing this we should check the value of unhide (providing an unhide option when ready)
- In mobile we should hide by default to admins, but what control should we use for revealing hidden comments?
- Ask Jdlrobson to give your username surpressor rights. To test this you'll work as an anon and logged in user.
Suppressed revision summary
- Visit http://reading-web-staging.wmflabs.org/w/index.php?diff=46&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop on desktop as an anon and notice how the edit summary is striked-through and the user is informed there was an edit summary but it was removed:
- Switch to mobile and notice how the edit summary disappears entirely.
- On mobile there is no indication edit summary and username was removed and the body is shown (Expected: should be hidden)
- Visit http://reading-web-staging.wmflabs.org/w/index.php?diff=41&mobileaction=toggle_view_desktop on desktop
as a logged in user with suppression rights. Body is hidden and there is an indication username and summary has been removed.
Suppressed revision body
- Visit http://reading-web-staging.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:MobileDiff/43?useformat=mobile as anon and you will see:
- Login and visit http://reading-web-staging.wmflabs.org/wiki/Special:MobileDiff/43?useformat=mobile again and you will now see this:
- Note the message and what the admin user sees are inconsistent.
- Expected: The body of the revision should be hidden but when "view this diff" is clicked it should be visible.