MediaWiki Workshop Buea
Draft Agenda of the Workshop
Start Time: 9:00am and End Time: 3:50pm
- General introduction of organisers of workshop, attendees [7mins]
- A brief introduction to MediaWiki and other Wikimedia related projects [16mins]
- Talk about the Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group [7mins]
- Light refreshment while preparing to start the workshop [10mins]
- Installation and setting up of MediaWiki [2hrs 10mins]
- Create account on https://www.mediawiki.org [10mins]
- Follow Gerrit Tutorials and online resources during the workshop [1hr 30mins]
- Question and Answer session on what has been done in the workshop [30mins]
- General discussion, Wikimedia Related talks, advises from organisers and sharing of Wikimedia Swags to audience [30mins]
- BREAK BREAK BREAK [30mins]
- During this period, we may take individual pictures and catch some fun and do some personalised discussion and other unrelated workshop activities. Pictures will be nicely selected and uploaded to Wikimedia commons.
- Practical examples and real work related to the knowledge acquired in part 1 of the workshop (Building an example extension) [1 hr].
- Discussion of upcoming opportunities in Wikimedia such as Outreach for women, GSoC, Wikimedia Hackathon and conferences, Edit-A-thons etc… [30mins].
- Distribution of prizes and merchandising to attendees. [30mins].
The awarding of prizes will follow the criteria below:
- Most early attendees (2).
- Most participating attendees during workshop (4).
- Answers to questions after workshop (per attendee).
- Conclusion, group eating and drinking, sharing of ideas and closing of the event [30mins].
- Including cleaning and rearrangement of the place.
- Disposing of waste after eating.
Point of Focus
This workshop will focus on;
- Guiding newbies on how to setup MediaWiki locally and setup their development environments to start contributing the Wikimedia projects (MediaWiki core and extensions).
Information about workshop
- Estimated number of attendees = 40
- Location of the workshop = Buea, Cameroon
- Host = Wikimedians of Cameroon User Group
- Date of workshop = 8th July, 2017
- Workshop organisers = Alangi Derick N(@D3r1ck01), Egbe Eugene(@Eugene233 ), Perside Rosalie (@rosalieper), Angeh Courage
- Duration = 6 hours 50mins (3hrs 50mins part 1 and 2:30mins part 2 excluding break)
Preparations before the event
- Online sensitisation of audience through mediums like: Twitter, Facebook, Emails etc...
- Guide participants to have necessary tools and software to enable them prepare their PC before the event.
- Creating of a Google Doc for registration for the event so we could keep track of the names and info about the users/audience that will attend the shop. Here: Registration Form
Merits of the workshop
- Through this event, the number of user accounts on https://www.mediawiki.org and https://en.wikipedia.org will increase and the important part is that we will get users from Cameroon and increase awareness of various Wikimedia projects in the country.
- This event will also bring in new developers into Wikimedia hence increasing the number of volunteer developers.
Support from Wikimedia Foundation
- Wikimedia Foundation is the main sponsor of the event by funding the workshop via a Rapid Grant.
- Wikimedia DE supported the workshop with merchandisings (T-shirts, Notes, Pencils, Wikidata & Wikipedia stickers).
Resources to be used