<legend> labels no longer shown in Chrome (55.0.2883.35) and friends
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Our neat <legend> labels are no longer shown in Chrome (55.0.2883.35) and friends. Other form elements shift around in confusing ways. This definitely was not happening a couple weeks ago.

matmarex created this task.Nov 18 2016, 3:19 PM
Restricted Application added subscribers: Jay8g, Luke081515, TerraCodes, Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptNov 18 2016, 3:19 PM
TheDJ added a subscriber: TheDJ.Nov 18 2016, 3:29 PM

Unchecking float on the legend element seems to invert the behavior (legend is visible, but none of the fieldset contents is.

Minimal test case:

<style>
legend { float: left; }
</style>
<fieldset>
<legend>derp</legend>
<p>bleh bleh</p>
</fieldset>

Actual:


Expected (Firefox screenshot):

matmarex claimed this task.Nov 21 2016, 4:20 PM

Upstream bug report: https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=661230 (we are not the first to encounter this).

Jdforrester-WMF moved this task from Backlog to Doing on the OOjs-UI board.Nov 29 2016, 11:09 PM

Change 325243 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński):
FieldsetLayout: Temporarily remove use of <legend> due to Chrome 55 bug

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325243

Chrome 55 went stable on Thursday, so this suddenly is a bit more pressing. (I only noticed on Saturday, because the original schedule said it'll be next Tuesday, and I thought it can be trusted.) I'll have the fixes SWAT-deployed tomorrow.

(Upstream task got merged into https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=670837 for some reason.)

Change 325244 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński):
OOjs UI: Backport I7513c3233b07780bab7a90de8a3b249a8d33448f

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325244

Change 325245 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński):
OOjs UI: Backport I7513c3233b07780bab7a90de8a3b249a8d33448f

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325245

Change 325246 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński):
OOjs UI: Backport I7513c3233b07780bab7a90de8a3b249a8d33448f

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325246

Change 325247 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński):
OOjs UI: Backport I7513c3233b07780bab7a90de8a3b249a8d33448f

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325247

(Of course I7513c3233b07780bab7a90de8a3b249a8d33448f is the wrong Change-Id, the right one is I73f95965694ec7fb0fa9a474742286e1105e5c85. I made a mistake when copy-pasting into the commit message. Corrected in PS2.)

hashar added a subscriber: hashar.Dec 5 2016, 2:00 PM

As I understand it Chrome 55 has an issue with the <legend/> tag and the patches above change OOJS/ui to generate a <div/> instead. I can see how it can lead to other breakages for anything that assumes a legend element (skin, gadgets, whatever extension relying on it etc).

Change 325243 merged by jenkins-bot:
FieldsetLayout: Temporarily remove use of <legend> due to Chrome 55 bug

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325243

Change 325245 merged by jenkins-bot:
OOjs UI: Backport I73f95965694ec7fb0fa9a474742286e1105e5c85

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325245

Change 325244 merged by jenkins-bot:
OOjs UI: Backport I73f95965694ec7fb0fa9a474742286e1105e5c85

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325244

Change 325246 merged by jenkins-bot:
OOjs UI: Backport I73f95965694ec7fb0fa9a474742286e1105e5c85

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325246

Change 325247 merged by jenkins-bot:
OOjs UI: Backport I73f95965694ec7fb0fa9a474742286e1105e5c85

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/325247

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2016-12-05T20:23:16Z] <thcipriani@tin> Synchronized php-1.29.0-wmf.4/vendor/oojs/oojs-ui/php/layouts/FieldsetLayout.php: SWAT: [[gerrit:325247|OOjs UI: Backport I73f95965694ec7fb0fa9a474742286e1105e5c85]] T151061 (duration: 00m 46s)

Mentioned in SAL (#wikimedia-operations) [2016-12-05T20:25:40Z] <thcipriani@tin> Synchronized php-1.29.0-wmf.4/resources/lib/oojs-ui/oojs-ui-core.js: SWAT: [[gerrit:325246|OOjs UI: Backport I73f95965694ec7fb0fa9a474742286e1105e5c85]] T151061 (duration: 00m 46s)

matmarex closed this task as "Resolved".Dec 5 2016, 8:38 PM
matmarex removed a project: Patch-For-Review.

Fixed and deployed.