This task tracks a proposal from the 2016 Community Wishlist Survey. This proposal received 48 support votes and was ranked #21 out of 265 proposals. View complete proposal with discussion and votes here.
When someone click on a coordinates link, he is redirect to en:Template:GeoTemplate (wp:en version) but :
- Geohack isn't manage by the WMF. It's a volunteer interface. It's host on wikilabs, It's surely the most used tools of wikilabs. I don't think wikilabs should host so useful tools. So when wikilabs was/will be down, Geohack is down, and for everyone is very complicated to geolocate coordinates on wikipedia without Geohack.
- Geohack has one version for each wikipedia, I still don't understand why each wikipedia need a different interface and a different list of siteweb for access to a map. Did each wikipedia have a different interface for visualize a picture ?
- Geohack interface doesn't upgrade (for many reason). The shared part of Geohack's interface doesn't upgrade ; Many and many wiki doesn't upgrade or maintain the "editorial" part of Geohack. Kartographer should be much prominent on lot of version of Geohack. Exemple : Geohack's english version still have it visualization windows down since january 2016, not body care. See the buged grey square on en:Template:GeoTemplate...
Others stuffs :
- Kartographer should replace some visualisation's tools on lot of wiki, tools like WikiMiniatlas or WikiOpenStreetMap.
- Kartographer could be used on some infobox on wikipedia. (It's not permit currently, only on Wikivoyage)
- Lot and lot of coordinates links aren't clickable on wikidata (like on d:Q21650786, d:Q555925, d:Q461210). I have report the problem few month ago, still not resolved...
Who would benefit
Reader of geographic pages or pages which have coord on wikipedia/wikipedia/commons/wikinews/wikivoyage...
WMF should more directly manage Geohack. Simple. The development of Kartographer is done. It's the hard part of the job. Just need to more deploy that.
Time, expertise and skills required
- e.g. Hackathon, GSOC, Outreachy, etc.