When AbuseFilter prevents a user from creating an account, it is currently impossible for CUs to associated the IP and the user. Here is in example:
- IP 188.8.131.52 tries to created the account User:FailedToCreate and this action is prevented by the abuse filter.
- If you query 184.108.40.206, you will see this in the CU results
- But of course, you don't know which IP to query.
- If you query FailedToCreate you get an error saying the account doesn't exist (which is fair)
- Without the abusefilter-private right, you have no way to associate FailedToCreate and 220.127.116.11 to each other.
WMF has not given the abusefilter-private right to its CUs, because if a CU had that right and would use it to lookup the IP of a user associated with this type of abuse log entry, there would be no way to log the CU's action. WMF would like all CU actions to be logged, so other CUs can monitor it.
- Make it possible to log the retrieval of private details of AbuseLog entries (T152934)
- Set $wgAbuseFilterPrivateLog to true
- Ensure the new entries in logging table are not replicated into the public dumps, and are filtered out of the Cloud-Services (or does that happen automatically?) - T187455
- Schedule maintenance/purgeOldLogIPData.php to be run daily
- Get legal to sign off on this task
- Basic documentation
- Final sign off from SuSa/WMF
- Add the abusefilter-private and abusefilter-private-log rights to the set of rights held by the checkuser group
- Add the abusefilter-private and abusefilter-private-log rights to the set of rights held by the ombudsmen group
- Add the abusefilter-private-log right to the set of rights held by the steward global group
- Add the abusefilter-private right to the set of rights held by the steward local group at Meta-Wiki only.