Page MenuHomePhabricator

Spam links trigger unknown error on mobile
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

When I try to insert a spam link (listed on MediaWiki:Spam-blacklist) on mobile, I get the standard error message Error, edit not saved. without any notice on what caused the problem. It should be somehow shown to the user so that they can correct it.

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptJun 5 2017, 11:15 PM

@Jdlrobson I used the source editor. Is that also a VisualEditor component?

Yep. It's a little confusing but VisualEditor is a project not the actual extension and this tag is the best way to get the attention of the VE team.

Deskana changed the task status from Open to Stalled.Jun 6 2017, 6:32 PM
Deskana added a subscriber: Deskana.

I can't reproduce this problem. When I tried to add a link from the spam blacklist, I got a message specific to the situation. Can you give more specific steps to reproduce?

I should note that presenting users with absolutely gigantic walls of text like that is a usability disaster and violates some fairly basic tenets of modern web design. Alas, this is not going to change.

@Deskana this is on the mobile web source editor but tagged with VisualEditor because that's how we've been told to file these bugs (see https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T167078#3319584)

@Jdlrobson Thanks. Now I see it.

I should note that presenting users with absolutely gigantic walls of text like that is a usability disaster and violates some fairly basic tenets of modern web design. Alas, this is not going to change.

It's enwiki-specific, they use a half-screen message while the extension's standard is only one line.

It's enwiki-specific, they use a half-screen message while the extension's standard is only one line.

Yes, I'm aware of that. The fact it's enwiki-specific is exactly why it is not going to change.

Jdlrobson moved this task from Backlog to Bugs on the MobileFrontend board.Jul 13 2017, 6:02 PM
Cirdan added a subscriber: Cirdan.Jan 24 2018, 10:09 PM
Tacsipacsi changed the task status from Stalled to Open.Jun 15 2018, 8:55 AM

New symptom: nothing happens. After I click Save, it thinks a bit, and returns to the preview page.

JTannerWMF moved this task from To Triage to Q4 on the VisualEditor board.Apr 23 2019, 3:30 PM

I tested this again.

The behavior in mobile visual editor is still the same as @Deskana found in 2017 (T167078#3319983), and does not exhibit this issue.

The behavior in mobile wikitext editor is roughly the same – there's still the same error message, although the layout has changed since T167078#3320072 (and I couldn't reproduce the issue in T167078#4289978).

VisualWikitext

My screenshot (in visual mode) shows the default error message, which is much shorter than on English Wikipedia, but the text of the message lies within the purview of each site's community.

Given the above, I don't think this is a blocker to T221185: Prepare visual editor to be a default mobile editor (although obviously it would be good to fix at some point).

matmarex moved this task from Q4 to To Triage on the VisualEditor board.
matmarex added a subscriber: ppelberg.

(talked to @ppelberg, removing as a blocker)

marcella moved this task from To Triage to Q1 on the VisualEditor board.Jun 18 2019, 5:11 PM
matmarex closed this task as Resolved.Sep 30 2019, 4:22 PM
matmarex claimed this task.

After the changes in T228897, the usual desktop error message is used now. Here's how it looks like in the mobile editor:

Restricted Application added a project: User-Ryasmeen. · View Herald TranscriptSep 30 2019, 4:22 PM