References and the templates often used to structure their information are important elements that cannot always be transferred appropriately across languages due to the diversity and fragmentation of templates across wikis.
There is a proposal (T203160) to highlight references with templates that could not be adapted at all resulting in empty references. The current ticket proposes to highlight in a similar way those references with a template that after the adaptation process they have empty parameters that are marked as mandatory.
Highlighting those could bring the attention to important missing information, that may go unnoticed by the user otherwise. For example. when translating "Börek" from Spanish to Catalan the third reference was added to the translation but only the Publisher parameter ("editorial") was mapped from the original Cita libro template in Spanish into the corresponding Ref-llibre template in Catalan:
When a reference is added to the translation, but after the adaptation of its template it still has empty parameters that are marked as mandatory, the tool will show a warning for users to complete the missing information:
A reference was added without some required information.
The missing details could not be obtained automatically from the original reference since their structure is a bit different.
Please, edit the reference in the translation to fill the missing information.
- References with a template with missing mandatory parameters will be rendered in grey.
- "Learn more" link will point to the appropriate documentation page.
- "Edit reference" action will edit the affected reference.
- "Mark as resolved" will discard the issue.
- T203160: CX2: Highlight (and skip) references with a template that could not be adapted
- T209473: CX2: Communicate template exists in the target wiki but mapping could not be completed
- T192271: CX2: Communicate template could not be adapted includes a similar "incomplete template" card described in the "Template exists but mapping cannot be done" section.