- Name of tool/project: GrowthExperiments
- Project home page:
- Name of team requesting review: Growth
- Primary contact: @Catrope
- Target date for deployment: no earlier than Nov 13
- Link to code repository / patchset: mediawiki/extensions/GrowthExperiments.git and this patch (which contains the bulk of the code, and will be merged soon if it hasn't been already)
Description of the tool/project
Extension to group together experiments and instrumentation done by the Growth team to understand what new editors do, and what does and doesn't work to retain them.
Initially, this will just contain an optional survey that's shown to new users right after they create an account. The results will be stored as a userjs- preference.
Description of how the tool will be used at WMF
Surveying new users on Korean and Czech WIkipedias to find out what motivates them to create an account
Has this project been reviewed before?
No, other than patch reviews in Gerrit by @Catrope
Working test environment
wfLoadExtension( 'GrowthExperiments' ); $wgWelcomeSurveyEnabled = true;
The Growth team will remain responsible for this extension, with @Catrope and @SBisson being the primary contacts. The extension will only be deployed to cswiki and kowiki, and possibly to one more wiki later, but we don't expect that we'll want to deploy this to more than a handful of wikis.