The homepage of the Library Card was last redesigned as part of our Authentication-based access rollout (T230524). We didn't spend substantial effort on this, largely getting it to a point where it was functional. Since that rollout we've received a wide range of feedback and had a chance to think about what works and what doesn't, and now wish want to update the page to make the calls-to-action and user workflows clearer.
Feedback and input from the community was collated at https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Library_Card_platform/Design_improvements
Our primary goals with the new homepage design are to answer the following questions for a new user:
- What is The Wikipedia Library?
- Who is it for?
We want visitors to feel compelled, inspired, and curious by what TWL is, and we want visitors to discover how to proceed with using TWL.
As part of this update we should implement the new homepage with Bootstrap 4, and use it for all new designs moving forward.
- Design specification: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1nOp6PkxpSKsMRA5G7IBqlwsgaIhXLJRr_copVrJU-RE/edit
- Desktop prototype: https://www.figma.com/proto/xXKTKB2wodZfbkTdNMoXTp/Homepage?node-id=975%3A917&viewport=2917%2C926%2C0.37263959646224976&scaling=min-zoom&page-id=975%3A0
- Mobile prototype: https://www.figma.com/proto/xXKTKB2wodZfbkTdNMoXTp/Homepage?node-id=975%3A808&viewport=585%2C434%2C0.44750702381134033&scaling=scale-down&page-id=975%3A1
- Tablet prototype: https://www.figma.com/proto/xXKTKB2wodZfbkTdNMoXTp/Homepage?node-id=975%3A2&viewport=-1450%2C-643%2C0.6004251837730408&scaling=min-zoom&page-id=954%3A0
- Design brief: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1sWf6-BUIOQ58Zz17HjcYibY1qfQT4LZGAeGQ_av3Plc/edit