- Name of tool/project: Rollup
- Project home page: https://rollupjs.org/guide/en/
- Name of team requesting review: Design Systems Team (formerly Vue Migration)
- Primary contact: @egardner
- Target date for deployment: Fall 2021
- Link to code repository / patchset: https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/c/wvui/+/694972
Description of the tool/project:
Description of how the tool will be used at WMF:
The Design Systems Team is looking into the current generation of JS module bundlers in relation to two projects: WVUI (which is currently bundled using Webpack, a tool we're looking to move away from), and a possible general-purpose front-end build step for MediaWiki extensions.
Relevant Phab tasks:
- T272879: Migrate WVUI library to Rollup or Vite
- T279108: Introduce a Front-end Build Step for MediaWiki Skins and Extensions
- Node.js (version 10, which we already use in CI, is sufficient)
- Some plugins will likely be required for the functionality we need:
Has this project been reviewed before?
I don't believe so.
Working test environment
The above Gerrit patch for WVUI demonstrates a way to build the code for the library using Rollup, includes a working configuration file, and is a good example of how this tool would be used.
Design Systems Team and @egardner