"Recent changes" and "Watchlist" tabs of preferences are hard to
understand and use.
- Some prefs and parts of the UI are exactly the same on both.
- The entire "Display options" menu on both tabs
- "Show Wikidata edits" (the text is subtly different, no idea about the behavior)
- "Hide minor edits"
- Some don't even belong to either.
- "Number of edits to show in recent changes, page histories, and in logs, by default:"
- "Watchlist token:" (bug 21912)
- Some apply to both watchlist and RC despite being shown only on one tab.
- "Group changes by page in recent changes and watchlist"
- Some are only shown in one even though they could apply to both.
- All of the "Hide edits" checkboxes; only "Hide minor edits" is available on both for some reason
The only solution I see is to merge them, just like the code for the two should be merged (bug 48641).
The hiding checkboxes could use the new HTMLCheckMatrix class (used by Echo for settings of its notifications, with two columns for web and e-mail – we'd use columns for watchlist and RC here).
Old request for something a little similar: bug 18524.