Amical Wikimedia in collaboration with Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) would be interested in hosting the 2018 European Hackathon. As a mature thematic organization and part of the Wikimedia community, preparing such an event is an excellent chance to engage with the rest of the global movement. Moreover, Wikimedia, and particularly, Wikiedu projects, have already a firm foothold in UAB faculties. Hereby you will find some examples:
- Viquiprojecte:Encastats UAB http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viquiprojecte:Encastats_UAB
- Viquiprojecte:Gestió de la qualitat UAB http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viquiprojecte:Gesti%C3%B3_de_la_qualitat_UAB
- Viquiprojecte:Viquiclàssics http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viquiprojecte:Viquicl%C3%A0ssics
- Viquiprojecte:Arqueopèdia http://ca.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viquiprojecte:Arqueop%C3%A8dia
Regarding technical contributions, we consider that we are still too far from what we think our local milieu could offer. For that reason, we think that this event would be an excellent opportunity to shrink this gap.
Location and venue
Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona (UAB) (http://uab.cat) is a young university by European standards. Coincidentally, during 2018 it will celebrate its 50th anniversary. Its main campus is in Bellaterra, around 25 km from Barcelona city center, just behind Collserola mountains. The campus is not inside any urban area, but very close to several main towns, such as Cerdanyola del Vallès, Sabadell or Sant Cugat. It can be easily reached by different transportation means from Barcelona city and its airport both during daylight and at night.
The main venue that would host most of the activities would be UAB Engineering School (http://www.uab.cat/enginyeria/). We will take advantage of this location for attracting potential student contributors. Plenary talks on Friday might take place in a nearby faculty in order to accommodate a higher amount of attendees.
There is a hotel and a residential area in the same campus where we would try to allocate all participants if possible, otherwise we would recur to additional hotels in nearby towns. Despite the event venue and the main hotel are at a walking distance, we would try to provide night shuttle buses if night-long hacking marathons are to take place in the faculty.
As a university campus, there is a good Internet bandwidth. A default a WiFi guest connection is provided for all visitors and we would negotiate to ensure specific WiFi connections for the event from the Faculty and the hotel.
- How to arrive UAB: http://www.uab.cat/web/life/maps-and-transport/getting-to-the-uab-campus-1096477178421.html
- UAB Map: http://www.uab.cat/servlet/Satellite?cid=1096476785438&pagename=UAB%2FPage%2FTemplatePageLevel2
- Some photos at Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=Campus%20Bellaterra
- Category at Commons: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Universitat_Aut%C3%B2noma_de_Barcelona
We are exploring the best compatible dates first with the faculty and then with the hotel. We would provide them here soon.
UAB would take care of the costs of the venue and Internet apart from additional expenses that may be associated to opening the faculty during night and non-working days.
So far, the tentative costs we have from the hotel.
Double room: around 40 EUR per person.
Catering, meals: in progress...
Below what we could regard as the core team, a couple of them (Oriol and Constantino) are actually working at the campus.
... other Amical volunteers ...
We are likely to hire the services of UAB Campus Agency for aspects such as visas, travel arrangements, etc. We would discuss with them about the event and we would ask for a detailed budget.
Other partners and sponsors