I've been doing some consolidation work in the MobileApp repo while breaking ground on the new Page Content Service CSS endpoint. For this initial iteration the goal is just to get the bundle behind an endpoint so the apps can have their styles updated agilely. Further, we want to serve the same bundle to both apps if at all possible. I think this is achievable. Here are some open questions blocking additional consolidation:
- Historically we've had different 'pagestyles' and 'preview' modules, with the 'preview' modules effectively just omitting some styles. Does anyone know why we omit certain styles for previews? Could we just use the same CSS bundle in all cases?
- Is the Android app team willing to drop some of its unique CSS?
- Can the CSS loading animation for loading sections be dropped, since article loading state is already indicated by a native ProgressBar? (A: Yes!)
- frwiki hacks (to resolve T167307) (History!)
- Only the Android app hides IPAs in the full article view; the iOS app and mobile web don't. Is this behavior essential to the Android app experience or can it be dropped?
- Yes, it can be dropped, but see T189715 for discussion.