As an Analytics PM, I want to be able to query with what interface an edit was made by the user (to perform analysis that will help us to understand our users better).
As a Wikidata user, I want to be able to filter for edits done via the Wikibase View (the regular UI) to e.g. patrol human edits.
There is currently no way on Wikidata itself to easily find out which edits are done via the Wikibase View or Wikibase Client.
WHEN an entity edit is made using the Wikibase View
AND the "entity-ui" tag has been configured
THEN the edit is tagged with the "entity-ui" tag
Overview over tags:
|Content||Tag name||Appearance on change lists||Full description of meaning||Is this new?|
|Data Bridge||data-bridge||Wikidata Bridge||n/a||exists|
|Wikibase Client linkitem (the jQuery UI thing)||client-linkitem-change||Sitelink Change from Connected Wiki||An edit that was made using the sitelinks UI on a connected wiki.||new|
|Wikibase Client UpdateRepo (on page move/delete)||client-automatic-update||Automatic Update from Connected Wiki||An edit that was made automatically because a connected page was moved or deleted.||new|
|Wikibase View (legacy / jQuery UI)||wikidata-ui||Wikidata User Interface||A manual edit made using the regular user interface on Wikidata.||new|
|Wikibase Repo (special pages)||wikidata-ui||Wikidata User Interface||same||new|
|Wikibase Termbox v2 (aka mobile termbox)||wikidata-ui, termbox (these are 2 separate tags)||Wikidata User Interface, Mobile Termbox||same + An edit made using the mobile termbox interface.||new|
For the Termbox tag, we will change the message as soon as the new termbox will go beyond mobile.
- these should be configurable as a list of tags, defaulting to the empty list (i.e. disabled by default / no tags) – compare T232580
- the tags have been created and configured on Wikidata
- tags for server-side actions – client UpdateRepo, repo special pages – could maybe be “defined by the software”, but tags for client-side / API actions will probably have to be “applied manually by users and bots” (as is the case for the Data Bridge tag already)
- all edits on entities (e.g. Items, Properties, and Lexemes) that are done via the components in the “overview over tags” table are tagged accordingly
- any edit made with a bot, tool, gadget, etc. (that is not using the Wikibase View as an intermediary) is not targeted with this
- there is a Grafana dashboard that shows for a given day the total number of edits and the number of UI edits (we probably want to include other tags in the same graph in the future)
- We plan to inform the community about our plans asap. Please coordinate with ComCom and Manuel when we are ready to communicate.
- How should the tags be named? Suggestions are still welcome!