This task is about providing more information to the mentee about the mentor relationship and public nature of Talk page communication.
User Job story
|As a newcomer who is unfamiliar with the public nature of Wikipedia talk pages and activity||(unfamiliar with open Talk pages)|
|When I||see that I have been assigned an experienced editor as a mentor,||(situation)|
|I want to||know what this means in terms of my privacy and activity,||(motivation)|
|so that||I feel assured that I am unmonitored and free when I am on Wikipedia.||(expected outcome)|
1. Mentor module & about dialog
The mentor module is revised to provide more information about the purpose and role of the mentor to the newcomer.
- Add an overflow menu on the mentor module header that has a menu option to a new "About mentors" dialog that provides more info about mentoring. The menu will also contain a new feature to opt out of being mentored (see T287915).
- Add a short message at the start of the mentor module introducing what it is, with a "learn more" link that also opens the "About mentors" dialog.
- Add a short message to the mobile preview.
- Add a new "About mentors" info dialog
- Accessed via the overflow menu from the mentor header, or from the link in the mentor module.
- Dialog opens full screen on mobile, as a medium-sized dialog on Desktop
- Besides more info that explains the concept in more detail, there is also a link to opt-out directly from the about dialog, which will bring out the opt-out flow (see T287915).
- Draft copy below is TBC:
- Heading 1: Who is your mentor?
- Paragraph 1: Your mentor is another person with a lot of experience editing on $Sitename. They’ve volunteered to guide newer people like you on how to edit, and can answer questions you may have about using the site.
- Paragraph 2: When you send a message to your mentor, they will see it on their user talk page and you should receive a notification when they reply.
- Heading 2: Opt out of mentorship
- Paragraph 3: Select the button below to opt out if you prefer not to have a specific mentor assigned to you right now. You can get a new mentor again at any time if you change your mind.
2. Ask a question dialogs
This flow should provide clear communication about both the public nature of the communication, and transparency of how to remove posted messages.
- Revise top copy to include an estimated reply timeframe.
- Revise placeholder copy to remove "say hello", and specify that questions should relate to editing.
- Add help text below the text-area field in the form of a "writing tip".
- Update the confirmation message to use the green success message widget from OOUI
- Update copy on the confirmation page to reiterate that the message was posted publicly and also add the estimated timeframe for reply.
- All copy is TBC.