Steps to replicate the issue (include links if applicable):
- Create a new account
- On testwiki, visit any page containing an external link with NO path, e.g. https://google.com, NOT https://google.com/ or https://google.com/index.html
- Make some edit that does NOT add any new links, e.g. this one.
A CAPTCHA is triggered.
What should have happened instead?:
No CAPTCHA is triggered. For example, this edit on enwiki did not require a CAPTCHA.
The same problem also occurs if:
- The link has an empty query string, e.g. https://example.com/search?
- The link has an empty hash, e.g. https://example.com/page#
- The link has a username, e.g. https://firstname.lastname@example.org
- The link has a port number, e.g. https://example.com:8080/
- The link is protocol-relative, e.g. //example.com/
This also affects mediawikiwiki, but not test test2wiki.