Page MenuHomePhabricator

Improving message "databaseerror-text"
Open, MediumPublic

Description

In September this message was introduced which basically only says that there is something in the water.

"A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software."

What about rephrasing it to

"A database query error has occurred. Please contact the system administrator. See also the manual on how [[Manual:How to debug#SQL errors|to debug SQL errors]]."

or shorter

"A database query error has occurred. See the manual on how [[Manual:How to debug#SQL errors|to debug SQL errors]]."

Thus it would also provide a hint on how to help the cause. I personally opt for the shorter version. Perhaps you have different ideas on how to rephrase it, if at all.


Version: 1.24rc
Severity: enhancement

Related Objects

View Standalone Graph
This task is connected to more than 200 other tasks. Only direct parents and subtasks are shown here. Use View Standalone Graph to show more of the graph.

Event Timeline

bzimport raised the priority of this task from to Medium.Nov 22 2014, 2:57 AM
bzimport set Reference to bz61419.
Kghbln created this task.Feb 15 2014, 3:18 PM

Do not know why I removed the "This may ..." part. So the suggestion is:

"A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. See the manual on how [[Manual:How to debug#SQL errors|to debug SQL errors]]."

I don't understand: what's the intended audience in your proposal? The page you propose to link is meant for sysadmins and devs, while the error message is mainly for users I think.
If you/we want the message to work for users, another page is needed (or some user-centric section in the same page).

Kghbln added a comment.Sep 2 2014, 7:29 PM

Currently this message has no intended audience and is thus as useless as ... Since my original proposal turns out to be too specific I suggest "A database query error has occurred. This may indicate a bug in the software. Please contact the system administrator." or the like.

I would like to work on this bug.Please assign me this bug.

(In reply to Joyce from comment #4)

I would like to work on this bug.Please assign me this bug.

You can do so yourself now.
https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Git/Tutorial explains how to make the most important bug status change, adding a patch. ;-)

Can I know in which repository is this?

(In reply to Joyce from comment #6)

Can I know in which repository is this?

MediaWiki core, see the "product" and "component" above. For the file, see [[mw:Localisation]].

Change 171540 had a related patch set uploaded by Joyceg:
My commit message

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/171540

Change 171540 had a related patch set uploaded by Joyceg:
Bug: Bug 61419 - Improving message "databaseerror-text" Change-Id:I55862204ef71f69bc88c79fe2259f7cb8365699a I have fixed the bug by rephrasing the error message

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/171540

Change 171562 had a related patch set uploaded by Joyceg:
Improving message "databaseerror-text"

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/171562

Change 171540 abandoned by Alex Monk:
Bug: Bug 61419 - Improving message "databaseerror-text" Change-Id:I55862204ef71f69bc88c79fe2259f7cb8365699a I have fixed the bug by rephrasing the error message

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/171540

Joyceg claimed this task.Nov 24 2014, 4:34 PM
Joyceg set Security to None.
Joyceg removed Joyceg as the assignee of this task.Mar 2 2015, 3:21 PM
Joyceg removed a subscriber: Joyceg.
Joyceg claimed this task.Mar 12 2015, 1:49 PM

Can I know when is this message generated?

jrbs added a subscriber: jrbs.
Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptOct 29 2015, 11:57 PM
Framawiki moved this task from Backlog to Doing on the good first task board.Dec 2 2017, 1:39 PM
MarcoAurelio removed Joyceg as the assignee of this task.Jul 23 2018, 2:11 PM
MarcoAurelio removed a project: Patch-For-Review.
MarcoAurelio moved this task from Doing to Backlog on the good first task board.
MarcoAurelio added a subscriber: Joyceg.

@marcelonoliveira90: Hi, thanks for claiming this task. Do you need any help? How is your progress? :)

@Aklapper: I think I've found a solution to this issue. As suggested here, some sort of code change has to be made to process the HTML inside the error message. So, in order to render the HTML link correctly, I've made a change into the code to process messages using a rawElement just when it's a database error. However, I'm not sure if it's the best approach, cause if there is another case in which HTML must be processed (instead of escaped) it would be necessary another change in the code, what could be hard to maintain. I have not a better solution in mind. So I'm going to commit that and see what the reviewer will say.

Feel free to share your patch on Gerrit, or amend the existing patch.

Change 469503 had a related patch set uploaded (by Marcelonoliveira90; owner: Marcelonoliveira90):
[mediawiki/core@master] MWExceptionRenderer: Improve the message shown when a database error occurs

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/469503

Please I would like to know if this issue has been fixed

Hi @Tobestjoel, thanks for taking the time to report this and welcome to Wikimedia Phabricator! No, see the open patch, and see the upper left corner of this task: Its status is "Open". (If you have any questions about Phabricator itself, please see mw:Phabricator/Help.)

Hi @Tobestjoel, thanks for taking the time to report this and welcome to Wikimedia Phabricator! No, see the open patch, and see the upper left corner: It says "Open". (If you have any questions about Phabricator itself, please see mw:Phabricator/Help.)

Srk224 added a subscriber: Srk224.Fri, Nov 6, 9:14 AM

I am new to open-source. Please assign me this issue