|Open||None||T45934 harmonize namespaces towards languages and projects|
|Open||None||T74525 harmonize Wikisource namespaces used by the ProofreadPage extension|
- Mentioned In
- T172252: Deploying Cognate on Wikisource (Index: namespace)
T172286: Cognate should support custom namespaces
T113861: Namespace number for custom namespaces differs between bnwikisource and enwikisource
T113444: [Task] Exclude Page namespace from Special:UnconnectedPages
T54709: Add Index and Page namespaces to $wgContentNamespaces
- Mentioned Here
- T46320: Clean Page and Index namespaces configuration for Wikisource
T45934: harmonize namespaces towards languages and projects
(In reply to Gerrit Notification Bot from comment #3)
Change 169779 had a related patch set uploaded by Reedy:
Set a default for wgProofreadPageNamespaceIds
I'm not sure if 104/106 are the values that we "want" to use, but that is what most sites are using. To that extent, I just made/extracted a default value for these, and removed the "duplicates".
This makes the config clearer, and more obvious to see the anomalies..
In this consultation, I note:
- the lack of strong support of Tpt, current current maintainer of Proofreadpage
- the very weak support of the proposal (but yes, it's a current recurring issue these last years)
- the need to take in account the charge in the databases
I consulted reedy on MediaWiki-General on the matter (who then created the patch noted in comment #3). Reedy considers "they're gonna be indexed updates, so it's a case of doing it as batched queries, waiting for slaves" and to not "see any obvious reason straight off why it shouldn't be doable".
As a next course of action, they suggests to count the number of affected pages, and to "come up with a rough plan of action".
Tpt knows of course well the issue to have play with this idea sometimes these previous years, so they is a good candidate for that.
[Taking back as NEW, the patch were only the first step to make the situation more clear in the configuration]
I support the project to move namespace ids for Page/Index namespaces to 250/252 that are the ones reserved by ProofreadPage extension. I'll be happy to help system admins in order to see if the migration if feasible on their side.
I don't think we actually do have a blocker for this now. We can update the configuration files easily but updating the database tables is going to be a complex issue here, I think. (cc @Springle) Can namespaceDupes.php handle this or should another script be written? Once that happens, on wiki templates and scripts could be updated.
No, this bug is about standardization of Page: and Index: namespaces number to 250 and 252 and the other one is about removing not needed anymore configuration options from Wikimedia config
mysql:wikiadmin@db1044 [enwikisource]> SELECT table_name, column_name, column_type FROM information_schema.columns WHERE table_schema = 'enwikisource' AND column_name LIKE '%namespace%'; +--------------------+-------------------+-------------+ | table_name | column_name | column_type | +--------------------+-------------------+-------------+ | abuse_filter_log | afl_namespace | int(11) | | archive | ar_namespace | int(11) | | click_tracking | namespace | int(11) | | cu_changes | cuc_namespace | int(11) | | edit_page_tracking | ept_namespace | int(11) | | externallinks | el_from_namespace | int(11) | | hidden | hidden_namespace | int(11) | | imagelinks | il_from_namespace | int(11) | | job | job_namespace | int(11) | | logging | log_namespace | int(11) | | logging_pre_1_10 | log_namespace | int(11) | | mark_as_helpful | mah_namespace | int(11) | | moodbar_feedback | mbf_namespace | int(11) | | page | page_namespace | int(11) | | pagelinks | pl_namespace | int(11) | | pagelinks | pl_from_namespace | int(11) | | povwatch_log | pwl_namespace | int(11) | | protected_titles | pt_namespace | int(11) | | querycache | qc_namespace | int(11) | | querycachetwo | qcc_namespace | int(11) | | querycachetwo | qcc_namespacetwo | int(11) | | recentchanges | rc_namespace | int(11) | | redirect | rd_namespace | int(11) | | templatelinks | tl_namespace | int(11) | | templatelinks | tl_from_namespace | int(11) | | titlekey | tk_namespace | int(11) | | watchlist | wl_namespace | int(11) | +--------------------+-------------------+-------------+ 27 rows in set (0.03 sec) mysql:wikiadmin@db1044 [enwikisource]>
Plan is to prepare a maintenance script to update namespaces.
Then, @Tpt and me will use a specific deployment window to do the following tasks:
- make the wiki read only to avoid data corruption
- run the new maintenance script to rename namespace
- run namespaceDupes to update the broken links
- reopen the wiki
We'll announce the date so wikisources won't be taken by surprise.
possible to advertise and publish the determined namespace allocations ahead of time?
We are planning to use the namespaces owned by the ProofreadPage extension (already used by the new wikis since 2013):
- Page: would be 250
- Index: would be 252
Possible plan for the migration:
- Make sure that all Wikimedia beta/prod wiki is using the wgProofreadPageNamespaceIds configuration parameter and for none Page: or Index: namespaces are registered using [[ URL | wgExtraNamespaces ]] of other configuration variables.
- Migrate gadgets on the affected wikis to use the canonical namespace name instead of the namespace id to avoid breaks during the migration
- For each wiki, lock it, run the migration script, deploy a config change setting the namespace ids to 250 and 252 and unlock it
- When it's done, drop the dynamic namespace id lookup from ProofreadPage and drop wgProofreadPageNamespaceIds from site-config