We need to decide the process to request travel sponsorship for the Wikimedia Hackathon 2015 and the evaluation criteria. Finally, we need to decide who is sponsored.
Travel sponsorship goals
- Bring remote contributors together
- Mix professional and volunteer contributors
- Recognize and reward community champions
- Invite remarkable contributors from other communities
- Support remarkable contributors in their first Wikimedia event
- Contribute to the success of the main themes (T89084)
- Enable meetings of projects with 50-100% volunteers
- Pair newcomers with experienced contributors && professionals with volunteers
- Strengthen relationships with upstream projects || other established communities
Problems we want to solve
- Participants without a hackathon plan doing doing regular work behind their laptops.
- Newcomers having difficulties breaking the ice and mingling with the rest.
- Clusters of established teams/friends not mingling either.
- Meetings of usual suspects missing a chance to get fresh air and new ideas from others.
How to assure your travel sponsorship
- Find a complementary buddy (newcomer/veteran, professional/volunteer...), propose a collaboration plan, and we will accept you both.
- You can choose someone with good reputation upstream or in some related project.
- We can help finding your buddy in our community (Wikimedia Foundation included) or in other projects.
- Propose an activity as a team of 50-100% volunteers, and request sponsorship as a block. We might not be able to accept everybody, but in that case we will discuss the alternatives with you as a block.
- Alignment with the main themes of the event will help.
This refers to travel sponsorship covered with the Wikimedia Foundation funds. Wikimedia Chapters might decide other criteria with their own funds.