Name and Contact Information
Name : Devi Krishnan
Email : email@example.com
IRC : devi
Blog : devikrishnan.wordpress.com
Github : github.com/devikrishnan
Time zone : UTC +5:30 (IST- India)
Location : Kerala, India
Mentors : @Addshore,@Samtar
Typical working hours : 5pm to 2am (weekdays), 9am to 9pm (weekends)
IRC Nick : devi on Freenode ( Channels: MediaWiki-Internationalization, #wikimedia-dev )
Related Phabricator task - T120738
Listing of contributors to a project is an important feature that must be an integral part of an open source community. Listing of contributors comes as an essential feature as it provides basic information on the number of people who edited the content and also the number of edits each contributor has made. This gives the user, necessary details about the content they are going to work on , such as the people currently involved in the project and their participation. It is also a way to give credits to the contributors for their contributions for a project.
The project idea is to come up with an extension to come up with an extension to preserve contributors of a page while its contents is being transferred from one location to another. This can be:
- One wiki to another wiki
- One location to another within the wiki
The tool should have two main features to make sure the contributors are listed and preserved:
- Listing of contributors to a page including its subpages
- An ability to export contributors of a page in some format ( say XML ) and then allow it to be imported to another page.
Details into deliverables
Listing of contributors : This is analogous to what Extension:Contriubtors already does, with added more features such as:
- Fetch contributors to sub-pages as well as main page
- Improved tabular display, which can be sorted in different ways. The proposed column headers will be username, number of edits to the page, date of last edit, date of first edit and number of bytes changed.
- Improved filtering with filters like :
- The user has an account - Yes/No
- IP- Yes/No
- Including subpages- Yes/No
- Including pages by prefix ( when : is used instead of / in some wikis for subpages )
Exporting and importing of contributors : This is the main aim of the project, and should have the following features:
- Special page which lists down the contributors to a page as above, and a button that would allow a user to download the contributors list as - say an XML file.
- Special page which would allow a user to import the XML file to add to the existing list of contributors to a page. This added list should show up next time the page is exported/printed.
- It should be possible to embed the same feature to a wiki page.
- On the side left bar, a link saying ‘Contributors’ which would list down a table from the extension.
|Tasks to be completed
|Community bonding period, get familiar with the community, contribute by submitting and fixing bugs.
|22 April to 23 May 2016
|Setting up environment, prepare a basic skeleton of the extension
|24 May to 31 May 2016
|Set up the database for the extension
|1 June to 8 June 2016
|Frontend- Improved tabular display
|9 June to 16 June 2016
|Adding import/export feature in special page
|17 June to 20 June 2016
|Code review, Fixing bugs
|21 June 2016
|Mid Term Evaluation
|22 June to 28 June 2016
|Embedding the feature to other wikis
|29 June to 14 July 2016
|Adding Contributors tab
|15 July to 25 July 2016
|Writing unit tests,Testing the workflow
|25 July to 12 August 2016
|Writing Documentation, Deployment
|12 August to 21 August 2016
|Final Report Submission
|22 August 2016
I have been contributing to Mediawiki since a few months. My first contribution took me more than a week. However small the contribution was, the moment it got merged gave immense joy to me. Mediawiki is the first community that I am contributing to.The community is very welcoming for new contributors.We receive help in many ways one of which is the IRC channels.However trivial the question might be , we always get a reply. I’ve always felt that contributing to open source helps us in developing very valuable set of technical skills and also the discipline and way of working with many people.
I came to know about GSoC and the Mediawiki community from my mentor at the FOSS club in my college. I had applied for Outreachy’11, and you can find my proposal here https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T116303
Experience with the Organisation
- Have set-up the development and debug environment on the core.
- Basic familiarity of code and code conventions.
- Understood the process of submitting a patch and review ( phabricator, gerrit and git).
- Had submitted number of patchsets in 6 months via Gerrit
Projects worked on:
- I have fixed few bugs related to different extensions in Mediawiki and core. You can find my Gerrit profile here Devirk
- I have designed a website for a company which runs a laundry service,this played a huge role in developing my knowledge on web development area. URL : www.iwash.co.in