This set of changes amends T160575 and other tickets to fix various complaints about the "r" being too prominent now that ORES is on by default. It also fixes language and other inconsistencies. It should be put in place ahead of the en.wiki release if possible.
Changes to Watchlist Preferences Page (and tools)
====Functionality change—"Highlight probably damaging edits" controls the "r" too
- This option (see new wording below) will now turn on and off both classic ORES shading and the "r" on Watchlist and Contributions (but not RC Page).
- The "r" threshold is set, as before, by the "Prediction Threshold" setting.
====Re-word the "Highlight probably damaging edits" option
New wording: Highlight ~~probably damaging~~ likely problem edits with colors and an “r” for “needs review”
====Re-word "Show only edits that may have problems" preference
New wording: Show only likely problem edits ~~that may have problems~~ (and hide probably good edits)
====Re-word the "Prediction Threshold" descriptive text
New wording: Sets the level of probability at which the system flags edits with an “r" to indicate they "need review" on Recent Changes, Watchlist and Contributions. Also sets the threshold for the “Show only likely problem edits.”
====Functional change to "Prediction Threshold" tool
T160575 specified three Quality options for the Threshold tool. But T162760 defines a system where a given wiki may not have all three levels of damage filter available. The Prediction Threshold control should conform with the levels set for a given wiki. E.g., if, on Polish, we have only Likely and Very Likely, those should be the only options offered.
====Functional change to classic ORES shading
Again, as per T162760, a given wiki may now offer from 1-3 levels of damage filter. ORES shading on Watchlist and Contributions should conform with the filter levels (extending the idea of T160575) and with the //number// of filters defined for a given wiki. Thus, on a given ORES wiki, terminology, threshold levels and number of filters/colors of shading displayed will be consistent across RC Page and Contributions/Watchlist .
===Reposition options and instruction text as shown in the screenshot
- Put all the ORES options together, in the order shown.
- They don't have to be indented, since all are not affected by the Threshold control.
=Changes on RC Page Prefs
Re-word "Show only edits that may have problems" preference
New wording: Show only likely problem edits
that may have problems (and hide probably good edits)
Add new Preferences for turning the "r" on and off
- This controls the "r" only on RC Page.
- Turn on by default for all existing ORES users when we give the beta to an ORES wiki.
- On ORES wikis that already have the beta, automatically opt in all users who currently have ORES shading turned on, which includes all migrated ORES beta users as well as anyone who turned on the shading option after the beta release.
- Mark likely problem edits with an "r" for "needs review" (to set the level at which edits are marked, use the "Prediction Threshold" menu in the Watchlist preferences)
Changes on Watchlist and Recent Changes pages
Change legend in legend box
r This edit may
be damaging have problems and should be reviewed (more info) [pls change the "r" to black from red]
Functional change: always display the "r" for "needs review" in black on all pages
That's on Recent Change, Watchlist and Contributions. Always black, no red.