Collaboration Team had previously intended to release the RC Filter Improvements only to ORES wikis. But after discussing the matter, we intend instead to offer these improvements to all wikis. I'm creating this ticket so that we can air this plan fully with interested parties. Once we've got general approval, I'll nail down any details on the various tickets that need updating (most notably, T144457, which describes the current opt-in options and T150059, which discussed changes to other Preferences.)
Here are the main points of the new plan:
Enable ORES by default
See T158225: Enable the ORES good faith and damaging UI by default, on wikis that have these ORES models available (instead of behind a Beta Feature)
"New filters for edit review" beta option
The "New filters for edit review" beta option will continue to work more or less as described in T144457.
- Selecting this option turns on the new filtering interface for RC Page ( and then for other review pages as they come on line).
- Existing ORES beta users will automatically be opted in to the "New filters" beta.
- On ORES wikis, "New filters" users will get the ORES filters as part of the new interface package automatically.
- On non-ORES wikis, "New filters" users will get the non-ORES filters only. At such time as ORES is enabled on a given wiki, the new ORES filters will automatically be displayed for all "New filters" users on the pages for which the new filters have been implemented.
- (On these newly minted ORES wikis, I don't think we'll want to offer "classic ORES" on the non-RC Page review pages—along with the related preferences. Since we don't plan to support this technology, it makes no sense to spread it and then just remove it. Though this wasn't something the team discussed. We could simply implement the plan on the new wikis as described above for the existing ORES wikis.)
- The release plan will still go in phases. 1) pt.wiki, 2) the rest of the ORES wikis (order not decided), 3) all other wikis?
@Halfak and @Jdforrester-WMF, do you see anything you want to bring up? Refinements, objections... @Trizek-WMF, I think you missed the meeting where we discussed this, so please have a look.
Group #2: wikis with ORES enabled, excluding en.wp T158332
Group #3 T158333
- English Wikipedia
- non-ORES wikis
Group #4: remaining wikis with ORES enabled
- Everywhere else T158335