Participants, please read/think about/research these, ahead of time:
- Next Steps for Languages and Cross Project Collaboration
- Find out the Language infrastructure capabilities and opportunities for Wikimedia movement.
- Identify projects and tasks to meet the strategic goals of Wikimedia in this area.
- See also DevSummit purpose and results for guidance
Related position statements:
Structure (rough draft):
- The session will be divided to two parts - first half for Languages infrastructure, and second half for Cross Project Collaboration. It is possible that some discussion having overlap between these two topics
- Session will have an introduction to topic, how this topic is relate to WMF Vision and what problems we would like discuss.
- Identify the key challenges we have for meeting the goals set by the WMF vision about Languages.
- Propose ways to support future needs; concrete solution, technologies to explore
- The session will NOT be used to discuss any of the topics in-depth. Concrete engineering questions are not in scope.
Related background reading:
- Languages, Machine Translation:
- The Language Team who was responsible for Language related projects , now does not exist. It is merged to Collaboration team and part of Global Collaboration team now.
- The Language infrastructure that the ex-Language team was responsible for, are listed here
- The Content translation(CX) system to translate articles between languages - https://mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation
- The machine translation service used by the system is a public API provided by cxserveer: https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Content_translation/cxserver But used only by Content translation now.
- Currently we have Apertium, Yandex, Youdao machine translation backends. Apertium is hosted by Wikimedia. Rest of them accessed using their APIs using special API keys. A legal contract exist between WMF and these providers. Discussions to use Google MT is in its final stages.
- Cross project collaboration
- https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Developer_Summit/2018/Next_Steps_for_Languages_and_Cross_Project_Collaboration (copied from https://etherpad.wikimedia.org/p/devsummit18-languagesandcollaboration )
This is one of the 8 Wikimedia Developer Summit 2018 topics.