As part of the gradual deployment process for the new version of Content translation, we want the new version to become the default version for users of Content Translation. This will expose more users to the provided improvements, and to bugs and limitations that we want to get surfaced to work on next.
For this stage the goal is to:
- Make version 2 the default, while still provide a way for users to switch back and forth between the old and new versions if needed.
- Communicate the change to (a) avoid user surprise about what has changed, and (b) encourage feedback.
Making version 2 the default
- Adjust the content translation configuration to make version 2 the default for all Content translation users, existing and new.
- Remove the more prominent invite added in T204817. Note that we still want to keep the controls to switch between versions provided on the dashboard sidebar (T194387)
Communicating the change
We want to communicate the change only to those users who have migrated from version 1 to version 2 as part of this change. That is:
- Users who have previously enabled version 2 manually should not get any message, since nothing changes for them (they are already aware of version 2 and using it).
- New users who have not accessed Content Translation before should not get any message, since they will perceive the new version as the normal behaviour (unaware of the existence of version 1).
The proposed solution is to show the target users a message. The message should be shown only once per user (globally, independent of the wiki they visit):
The new version is now active
The new version brings a more solid editing experience, and we want to hear your early impressions to make it even better.
The new editor will be used by default for your new translations. Current in-progress translations will use the old version.
- The proposed icon to use is "logoWikimediaDiscovery" in the icon repo.
- The last sentence of the message is de-emphasized by using a smaller font size (14px), and Base20 (#54595d) as color.