As the team is in the very early stages of this project, we want to get some initial technical thoughts on what is easy and what is difficult around making a modular place for newcomers to orient themselves. We have two big questions:
- What are options around where to put such a place?
- What are the challenges around which modules would be easier or more difficult?
Here are the very basic existing requirements around a newcomer homepage, which will change in the future, as the project becomes better defined:
- Different users need to have different configurations based on welcome survey responses, edit history, and time. These configurations should be in sync with configurations leading to different emails in the email engagement project.
- We need to consider options such that a given user's homepage is not visible to other users. In other words, users should only be able to see their own.
- We will want to detect when users visit and interact with their homepage.
Here are some existing ideas around where this homepage could be located:
- For newcomers, replace Main Page with this new content.
- Include it as an enhancement to Watchlist.
- Include it as an enhancement to the user's Contributions.
- Add it is a link up where the other tools are (Watchlist, Contributions, Preferences, etc).
- Make it part of a user's User page.
- Make it an additional tab when they visit their User page, so that there are three tabs: User page, Talk, Homepage.
- Instead of making it a page, make it a panel that can be opened from anywhere in the wiki.
For some examples of dashboard modules that we might want to include, see these slides (images to published on wiki during January 2019).
Completing this specific task means writing down thoughts either here or in some other document.
Enumeration of modules:
- Task recommendations: comprised of different task type tabs/subsections (copy editing, translation, expand a stub, add references, Create new article, "more"), with suggestions potentially configurable (e.g. "because you've edited")
- Related changes in Topic, where Topic is one of those selected during welcome survey. Should allow adding/removing/changing topics.
- Featured experienced editors, and number of edits in past 7 days,
- Mentor: activity (edits in past 7days) and Talk page contact link, if mentorship was ticked in the welcome survey
- Your contributions (cross wiki, and latest edit)
- Help (customized to user level), with link to help desk