Page MenuHomePhabricator

Edit cards: deploy v1 to bn.wiki, he.wiki and fa.wiki
Closed, ResolvedPublic

Description

Task overview

This task involves the work involved with deploying the first iteration T221309 of the Edit Cards to Persian, Hebrew and Bengali wikis.

"Done"

Details

Related Gerrit Patches:
mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor : wmf/1.34.0-wmf.8Merge remote-tracking branch 'gerrit/wmf/1.34.0-wmf.10' into HEAD
mediawiki/core : wmf/1.34.0-wmf.8Update extensions/VisualEditor submodule to wmf/1.34.0-wmf.10
operations/mediawiki-config : masterEnable new mobile contexts on bn/fa/hewiki

Event Timeline

Restricted Application added a subscriber: Aklapper. · View Herald TranscriptApr 17 2019, 10:34 PM
ppelberg renamed this task from Edit cards: deploy to train to Edit cards: deploy v1 to bn.wiki, he.wiki and fa.wiki.Jun 13 2019, 1:48 AM
ppelberg updated the task description. (Show Details)
ppelberg updated the task description. (Show Details)

TODO: Write config change patch for this.

ppelberg updated the task description. (Show Details)Jun 19 2019, 5:14 AM

Change 518051 had a related patch set uploaded (by Esanders; owner: Esanders):
[operations/mediawiki-config@master] Enable new mobile contexts on bn/fa/hewiki

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/518051

Change 518051 merged by jenkins-bot:
[operations/mediawiki-config@master] Enable new mobile contexts on bn/fa/hewiki

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/518051

We deployed the patch, but when testing, I realized that the production wikis are still running software version wmf.8 (from ~two weeks ago) rather than wmf.10 (from this week), and so the new code for mobile contexts is not deployed. Apparently there have been some issues with it, see T220735: 1.34.0-wmf.10 deployment blockers (not related to VisualEditor).

I have no idea when that will be resolved, it looks like no one figured out yet what is causing the problems…

I'm not sure what's the timeline for this task. If we need to have the new contexts available for testing or something soon, then we should backport wmf.10 VisualEditor changes to the wmf.8 branch (I can do that). If we can wait, then the new contexts will kick in whenever wmf.10 is fixed and redeployed.

Change 518141 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/core@wmf/1.34.0-wmf.8] Update extensions/VisualEditor submodule to wmf/1.34.0-wmf.10

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/518141

Change 518141 abandoned by Jforrester:
Update extensions/VisualEditor submodule to wmf/1.34.0-wmf.10

Reason:
Let's do a merge commit instead.

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/518141

Change 518142 had a related patch set uploaded (by Bartosz Dziewoński; owner: Bartosz Dziewoński):
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@wmf/1.34.0-wmf.8] Merge remote-tracking branch 'gerrit/wmf/1.34.0-wmf.10' into HEAD

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/518142

Change 518142 merged by jenkins-bot:
[mediawiki/extensions/VisualEditor@wmf/1.34.0-wmf.8] Merge remote-tracking branch 'gerrit/wmf/1.34.0-wmf.10' into HEAD

https://gerrit.wikimedia.org/r/518142

And it's live! (with help from @Jdforrester-WMF)

We had to make sure that we didn't make any changes in our wmf.10 code that require the wmf.10 version of any other code (or backport them). For reference, we needed the following changes in wmf.8:

ppelberg updated the task description. (Show Details)Jun 20 2019, 11:01 PM
ppelberg closed this task as Resolved.Jun 21 2019, 9:40 PM
ppelberg claimed this task.