MediaWiki-extensions-Graph currently uses the Graphoid service to render graphs on the backend. In order to retire that service, we are planning to switch on the existing front-end-only graph rendering that already exists in the extension. This work has not yet started, as the contractor tasked with it has not yet been hired - we anticipate it will be a short project, and ready for review on beta sometime in February, at the latest.
N/A currently. Listed in TODOs below.
Which code to review
Specifically: Whatever changes we make to the code for maintenance purposes, bugfixes, etc. - TBD at the moment.
Please initiate the performance assessment by answering the below:
- What work has been done to ensure the best possible performance of the feature?
- What are likely to be the weak areas (e.g. bottlenecks) of the code in terms of performance?
- Potentially increased processing on the frontend may cause issues with some devices - check mobile, etc.
- See, e.g., https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Graph:Street_map_with_marks for a widely used template which may cause issues for some users. cf. T236892 for more information.
- Are there potential optimisations that haven't been performed yet?
- Please list which performance measurements are in place for the feature and/or what you've measured ad-hoc so far. If you are unsure what to measure, ask the Performance Team for advice: firstname.lastname@example.org.
TODO (for contractor):
- Test configuration change
- Make changes to Graph extension for maintenance/bugfixes as needed
- List changes here for examination
- Deploy config change and any new code to beta
- Create a test page with at least 1 graph
- Ping this ticket and edit this description to link to the test page
- Briefly audit performance, answer above questions.
P.S., sorry for all of the TBD/TODO items. Given the requirement for lead-time and our current lack of progress, we wanted to give you all a heads up so you can schedule a cursory review of the code in time for our rough deadline (middle of Q3).