Relation to department goals
This task tracks the Better Use of Data working group's Q1 work for KR1 of it's FY 2020-2021 OKR.
Objective: Foundation staff can better access and interpret production user data to identify areas of opportunity and make data-informed decisions to advance our MTP.
KR1: Pilot implementation of the Modern Event Platform (MEP) and clients with 2 product teams (by end of Q1) ...
A key result of BUOD is the successful transition of the product department's instrumentation to the new MEP backend and clients. The MEP backend is largely operational, prototypes of the clients have been completed, and production versions of the clients are in various stages of integration and deployment.
The first step of the transition is to examine two pilot cases that use the new system to do instrumentation. The goal of the pilots are to
- Identify technical issues
- Identify data quality issues
- Gather engineer and data scientist feedback
- Demonstrate value
To ensure we are getting a reasonably full picture, we have decided on the following requirements:
- The pilots should be on different teams, and use different schema.
- They should use different platforms (e.g. browser and app)
- Ideally, the schema/instrument should not be new. This will allow us to compare the new with the old.
We've identified the two candidates on the web platform
And are seeking to identify candidates on the iOS platform.
We should complete these pilots and the tasks that they generate before moving ahead with guidance on using the MEP systems.