Expiring-Watchlist-Items brought the ability to temporarily watch pages and files, instead of only having the option to watch indefinitely.
Repeatedly since that feature was deployed in 2020, users have asked for the ability to set default watchlist expiries, in particular for watching in general (via watch star) and when performing rollback.
- Special:Preferences (under "Watchlist") should have a "Default time period" dropdown for:
- Manually watching (Default time period to watch a page that I manually add to my watchlist)
- Add pages and files I edit to my watchlist
- Add pages I create and files I upload to my watchlist
- Add pages where I have performed a rollback to my watchlist
- The preferred expiry should be pre-selected when:
- Using the watch star (aka manually watching)
- Editing a page (either wikitext or VisualEditor)
- Using the action=watch page
- If a page is already watched, we use the existing expiry and not the preference, even if the preference is longer.
- Actions made through the Action API should also follow the same rules when the watchlist parameter is set with either preferences (default) or watch
- If the watchlistexpiry parameter is used, that takes precedence over the preferred expiry
- All of the above is true only if $wgWatchlistExpiry is also true.