This task represents the work with developing the plan for scaling the New Discussion Tool as an opt-out setting at all projects.
Below are the phases in which we *plan* to offer the New Discussion Tool as an opt-out feature at all projects. As with all deployments, this plan could change depending on what emerges in the conversations with volunteers at these projects.
|Phase 1||Wikipedias: Arabic and Czech (T280390)||✅ T285724|
|Phase 2||Wikipedias that participated in the A/B test (list in T281533)||✅ T307410|
|Phase 3||Remaining small-to-medium Wikipedias, plus all single-language non-Wikipedias (e.g., the Wikiquotes and Wikivoyages) – not enwiki, dewiki, ruwiki, fiwiki||T309368|
|Phase 4||All multi-lingual projects (e.g., Commons and Wikidata). (Result: all WMF-hosted wikis except enwiki, dewiki, ruwiki, fiwiki||✅ T310392|
|Phase 5||English Wikipedia||✅ T311023|
|Phase 6||German Wikipedia (Result: all WMF-hosted wikis except ruwiki, fiwiki)||ticket needed|
Note: As of 24 May 2022, the Finnish and Russian-language Wikipedias still don't have the [reply] tool, so they can't have the New Topic tool yet.
- Before the New Discussion Tool can be offered as an opt-out setting at a project, the Reply Tool must first be made available as an opt-out setting.
- This should generally happen two or three weeks after the Reply tool is made available as an opt-out setting at that wiki.
- One purpose for this sequence is to allow editors additional time to report problems. If problems are reported, then the PM can delay the deployment for any affected wikis.
- In Tech/News before Phase 3
- Messages need to include a link [[Special:Preferences#mw-prefsection-editing-discussion]]
- Additional message to largest wikis, either sometime in the days before, or immediately after, the deployment happens
- A plan is documented on this ticket that lists all Wikimedia wikis in a phased deployment sequence